Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Feature of The Day: Marc of Haiti Engaging Youth (Hey!)

What's up everybody?
I hope all is well and that you're day has been a victorious one.
Today NaturelleMe... would like to present to you a new feature of the day. NaturelleMe... enjoys featuring people with great style but also loves to feature those who are making a difference in their community or around the world.

Meet Marc Antoine of hey! (Haiti Engaging Youth)



I was given the opportunity to interview an awesome gentleman who is part of a wonderful organization called hey! You will be amazed at what he and a team of other young men and women are doing to help the youth in Haiti. One youth at a time, with the heart, hands and feet of Christ!


Haiti Mission Trip.
Source: hey1804.org 
I've heard so many wonderful things about the organization that you are involved in called hey!. I wanted you to tell me, for those who don't know. What does hey! stand for and what is it about?
hey! stands for Haiti Engaging Youth. Haiti Engaging Youth is about bridging the gap between the youth who live in Haiti and the youth who live abroad. We believe that the key to Haiti's renewal is in the hands of the youth. One way to strengthen the youth in Haiti is to collaborate with other Haitian youth diaspora and other youth around the world in general.


So, how did hey! get started? What motivated you all to come together to make hey! happen? 
hey! officially began in April of 2012. However, it unofficially was in motion immediately after the earthquake in 2010. Myself and Angelo Antoine went on a missions trip in the summer of 2010 after the earthquake.Later, Gary Joanis went on a mission trip to Haiti in January of 2012 as well as Phil Sainvil who went in March. Christelle Chery was consistently doing missionary work in Haiti both before and after the quake. All five of us were doing missionary work in Haiti separately, but we all had the same idea: to bridge the gap amongst the youth. We are all childhood friends, and so we came together in April to talk about our experiences, and out of that, hey! was born. 

What is your role in hey!? Did you have prior experience that has helped you manage and take this position?
For hey! I serve as the Ministerial Coordinator. I am responsible for the ministry and spiritual aspect of the group. I preach on behalf of hey! both here in the states and in Haiti. I am responsible for planning and implementing youth revivals and summer camps, fostering the spiritual growth of our group. I do have experience in ministry as I served as a youth leader in my church for 5 years, I am also the Project Coordinator for the Coalition of Young Christians of PA, where I organize crusades and such. 

Source: hey1804.org

In June 2012, you and a team of other hey! members went on a missions trip to Haiti. Now, how was that experience together and what did you all do? Any new projects in the works?

Yes, we went on our first exploratory trip to Haiti in June of 2012. The initial trip was to gather information, assess the needs of that particular community, and build relationships with the people there. While there I preached, we held a soccer tournament for the community, and provided medications for a local clinic. We are planning to go back to the community in the summer of 2013 and implement some of our programs which are a Tech Center/Library and a summer camp. 

Source: hey1804.org
hey! Team member and a few soccer players. Onlookers waiting to see the game.

Source: hey1804.org

Do you speak Creole or French fluently? The reason, why I ask is when you step foot into Haiti and people see you. They would think you are one of the Americanized Haitians who don't know a lick of creole. Did you get that reaction, were they surprised that you spoke in Creole ?
I do speak Creole fluently, and it was a shocker to many people in Haiti that I could speak and preach in Creole. I do not speak French, but I'm attempting to learn. I believe that as Haitian youth, it is imperative that we speak our native tongue of Creole, it is part of what identifies and brings us together as a people.

 
Where is hey!  based?
hey! is based out in Philadelphia. In the future we are looking to have several home bases across the tri-state area and in Haiti.

Since we are in Philadelphia, are you a Philly native, where are you originally from?

I am a native of Haiti. I was born in Haiti and moved to the states as a toddler. I have lived in Philadelphia for almost 22 years.

How does one become involved, partner-up or volunteer with HEY? Do you accept donations? What are acceptable donations and where to make it out to?

We invite all partnerships and ideas from everyone. The easiest way to contact us is to visit our website and subscribe.The website is hey1804.org. You can also email us at hey1804@gmail.com with any inquiries or requests for partnerships. We do accept donations, and would appreciate the kind gesture. as we are currently raising money for our next missions trip in 2013. All donations can be made out to "Haiti Engaging Youth"

 A little birdie told me that hey! is having a fashion event. Now what is going on, when, how much, what time and where?
Yes, hey! is having a fashion show on October 27th, 2012 at Temple University at 7pm. We have great designers both for men and women who will be showcasing their work. We also have the hey! line which will be in the show.
It is a fund-raising fashion show and admissions will be $10 prior and more at the door. More information will be posted on our website hey1804.org, our facebook page, twitter(@HeyHaiti), and instagram (@HeyHaiti). 
hey! T-shirt. (Purchase here)

Are you all seeking models for this event, is there a casting call?
We had out first casting call on Tuesday September 11th, 2012. We had a great turn out, if we should need another casting call, the information will be up on our website. 

Now before we end our little session, tell me about your style. Do you style yourself, depending on your mood or do you just throw pieces on and call it a day?
I definitely style myself according to my mood and where I am going. Over the years my style has matured.I find myself less into sneakers and more into loafers. I like to be dressed up, and so most of my attire is from Banana Republic. 

What is your take on the current style of young Christian men who enjoy looking their best. Is there a limit?
I think that its great that our young Christian men take pride in their appearance. However, we must be careful not to be to mixed up into the style of the world. There is a thin line between fly and exaggerated. I believe that we can look fly and handsome as young men, but that we should not exaggerate. Church is not a fashion show, and we cannot let our dress distract people from our hearts.



Well said! Would you say that young Christian women have been keeping it modest or modesty no longer exist? 
Our Christian women are beautiful and have a great sense of style. However, like our men, we must make a sincere effort not to exaggerate and look like the world. Modesty does not mean you have to be dressed from head to toe, but that you are presentable from head to toe. Again, we cannot allow our dress distract people from our hearts. Keep on looking good ladies, do it with taste!

Lastly, how do you feel about women with natural hair? Do you think the current generation of Christian Haitian men or guys in general are accepting of it?

I think the natural look is beautiful. I think it works best for some than others. Unfortunately, some people who do go natural do not know how to maintain it, but if maintained properly, I think its great. Our culture should learn to accept it and love it, after all, natural is the original.
Hope you enjoyed this interview everyone and please, do stop by hey1804.org. Check out what team hey! is doing.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks to Naturelle Me for the interview, may God continue to bless this blog and make it reach new heights! hey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marc for the opportunity. I receive that in Jesus name and may it be so! All glory to God, I hope more people will tune to hey! And likewise. God bless.

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Yoline lol! I am happy you liked it. All the photos of Marc were taken by me. The other photos were from hey! website which is captioned as source. Girl, I will do that. I enjoy doing this on the side. It took me some time to figure what to make with this blog, now I think I know what I should do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great interview! I never heard of this organization, but I think what Marc is doing with hey is great! Also, I loved what he said about church and how it is not a fashion show and how clothes should not distract from matters of the heart. Beautiful words :)

    The Indie Byline

    ReplyDelete

Naturelle Me... Page Views